When a tooth develops an infection, then you need treatment right away. Otherwise, you could end up with a gap in your smile and a host of serious complications. In order to help address the issue, we may recommend an endodontic treatment: root canal therapy. Do you have an infected tooth? What should you expect from a root canal?
Try Our Quiz on Dental Infections
- True or False: Untreated decay can lead to infection.
- True or False: Pain when chewing could be a sign you need treatment.
- True or False: We can address the issue with a root canal.
- True or False: Ignoring the problem can lead to tooth loss.
- True. Did you know that tooth decay will continue to spread unless treated? Eventually, the bacteria causing the cavity will reach the inner pulp. The pulp keeps the tooth alive and healthy, so the presence of bacteria can mean the onset of a dental infection.
- True. You may also notice toothaches, tooth sensitivity, swelling near the tooth, and a foul-tasting discharge. If one or more of these symptoms sounds familiar, then please contact our office for an exam and to discuss possible treatment options.
- True. A root canal allows us to remove the infected tissue and replace it with a restorative filling material. We then place a custom-made dental crown over the tooth, preventing further infection while also ensuring the repaired tooth has a lifelike appearance.
- True. Without treatment, the pulp can eventually die, effectively killing the tooth. The tooth will then need to be removed to prevent the infection from spreading to surrounding teeth and into the jawbone itself. If you have any questions or concerns about repairing a tooth then please contact our office today.
Do You Need a Root Canal?
At Snow Park Dental, Dr. Mark A. Miller can help treat infected or abscessed teeth, restoring your smile to optimal health and function. Contact us today at 505-299-2979 to schedule a consultation at our Albuquerque, NM, office. We welcome patients and families from Rio Rancho, Corrales, Edgewood, Tijeras, Los Lunas, and all surrounding communities.