Do you find yourself frequently grinding or clenching your teeth? Bruxism is a serious dental problem that can damage your teeth, leaving your smile vulnerable to tooth decay, infection, and even dental abscess. Fortunately, at Snow Park Dental we can diagnose and treat your bruxism. In today’s blog, your Albuquerque dentist, Dr. Mark Miller, explains how a dental mouthpiece can safeguard your smile against bruxism.
1. True or False: Stress may lead to bruxism.
2. True or False: Without treatment, grinding and clenching your teeth can damage your smile.
3. True or False: Bruxism may lead to the onset of TMJ disorder.
4. True or False: With a dental mouthpiece, your Albuquerque NM cosmetic dentist can help treat bruxism.
1. True. An increase in daily anxiety may cause people to start grinding their teeth or clenching their jaw.
2. True. Often, bruxism occurs at night while the person sleeps. As a result, many people are unaware they grind their teeth. Soon, their teeth may become cracked, chipped, or worn down. Symptoms to watch for include: Persistent toothaches, tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, and sharp pain when biting down or chewing.
3. True. TMJ disorder develops when excessive strain is placed on the jaw joints. Bruxism often causes this unnecessary strain. Common signs of TMJ disorder include headaches, earaches, and a popping or crackling sensation in the jaw.
4. True. Similar to a nightguard, this occlusal splint is worn while the patient sleeps. The device prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, reducing episodes of bruxism and safeguarding your smile. Dr. Miller may also recommend muscle exercises, as well.
A dental mouthpiece can help end your clenching and grinding. For more information on our bruxism treatments, talk to your Albuquerque NM general dentist, Dr. Mark Miller. To schedule an appointment, call us at (505) 596-4479. Also, visit our website to view the smile gallery, print patient forms, and read reviews from loyal patients. We look forward to treating families from Rio Rancho, Corrales, Edgewood, Tijeras, Los Lunas, and surrounding communities.
What Our patients