You may think that a child’s primary teeth, also called baby teeth, don’t require as much attention as permanent teeth. You’re not alone, though, because it’s a common misconception. In fact, pediatric dental care is more important than many parents realize. By starting them on a dental regimen early, your child is more likely to continue practicing sound oral habits throughout their lives. The American Dental Association recommends that children need to visit a dentist by their first birthday at the latest since they’ll usually have at least one tooth by then. If you follow these tips, you can prevent your child from having to experience unpleasant trips to the dentist for invasive dental work. With the help of your Albuquerque dentist, Dr. Mark Miller, your child can be on the right track to excellent oral hygiene.
The following points highlight why taking your child to a kid-friendly dentist is a crucial step in their oral health:
1. You’re establishing a good habit of visiting the dentist regularly.
2. Family dentists understand and have experience in the unique dental care needs of children and teens.
3. Through the guidance of a caring and friendly dentist, kids learn that certain foods, such as sugary drinks and snacks, can cause tooth decay.
4. A children’s dentist and his hygiene staff can teach your child the proper way to brush and floss, and how often they should do it.
5. Children’s dental services generally include fluoride treatments and dental sealants to strengthen and protect young teeth.
While taking your children to see your Albuquerque dentist is quite important, at-home follow-up is essential. For example, limit the number of juices your child consumes throughout the day. The sugar present in juice—even no-sugar-added ones—can lead to early tooth decay. You should also brush their teeth daily, at least once a day with a warm towel during infancy and twice a day when they have sufficient teeth to brush. Visiting your Albuquerque dentist with your child is only half the battle. How you handle your child’s everyday oral care regimen counts just as much.
Don’t delay your child’s pediatric dental care. Call us today to schedule an appointment at (505) 596-4479. You can also visit our website to view our smile gallery, print patient forms, and read our reviews from loyal clients. We look forward to treating patients from Rio Rancho, Corrales, Edgewood, Tijeras, Los Lunas, and surrounding communities.
What Our patients