Root canal treatment is often spoken of as though it is a treatment that patients should avoid. However, a root canal is a very valuable procedure that can preserve an otherwise-doomed tooth. So just how much do you know about root canals? To find out if you can separate fact from fiction, take the following quiz from your Albuquerque NM dentist, Dr. Mark Miller, and check your answers below.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: Root canal treatment increases the risk of illness.
- True or False: Root canals should be avoided because they are too painful.
- True or False: Root canal treatment is typically preferable to extraction.
Check Your Answers
- False. Root canal treatment works to rid the body of a potentially dangerous infection that can spread into the jaw, throughout the mouth, and even into the body. Thus, root canals actually help to prevent illness rather than cause it.
- False. Root canal treatment requires the use of a drill and other small instruments to access and remove the infected pulp of a tooth. The procedure is performed with the aid of anesthesia to improve patient comfort. Patients typically report feeling a dull pain in the affected tooth for 1-2 days afterward, and this pain can be managed with prescription or over-the-counter pain relievers.
- True. In most cases, it is best to preserve teeth rather than to extract them. Our teeth do more than break down food. They also help with the clarity of speech and help to maintain jawbone density. Thus, an extraction should only be performed in specific circumstances. If, for instance, a patient with a weakened immune system had an infected tooth, an extraction might be performed to ensure that the infection was removed quickly and completely.
Schedule a Visit with Your Albuquerque NM Dentist
Would you like to learn more about root canals? Do you have a tooth in need of dental assistance? Contact your Albuquerque NM dentist, Dr. Miller, today to schedule an appointment or a consultation by calling (505) 596-4479. Also, visit our website to view the smile gallery, print patient forms, and read reviews from our patients. We look forward to treating families from Rio Rancho, Corrales, Edgewood, Tijeras, Los Lunas, and surrounding communities.